Thursday, October 30, 2014

In the Spotlight-Dolores Andral


Meet Dolores Andral! 
With the new release of her 1st picture book; Prissy on the Moon, book signings, and appearances, Dolores is quite busy these days. Oh, and did I mention she's mom to four children: twin sons who are 12, an 11 year old daughter, and a 7 year old daughter. I am super excited she took the time to talk with me about her writing, and even more excited that I get to feature a fellow Charlottean. 



Check out my interview below and find out even more about her by visiting her website at prissyworld.com or like her on Facebook at facebook.com/PrissyWorld
 How would you describe your writing style?
Probably rhythmic, I've been told that I do dialogue well. Whenever I am writing, it's like a movie's playing and I'm watching the characters interact. I'm always editing and trying to perfect it, trying to get the cadence down, the wording right, and the response appropriate.
 What books influenced you as a writer?
Hands down, the classics. I think it's why my writing tends to start off verbose, and winding, and longwinded. We live in world now where we need to cut to the chase, but when you've just read stories like Anna Karenina, Les Miserables, Jane Eyre etc. where they meander all over the place, give us backstory, give us finite details, it's hard to write tightly.  
 Where do you do most of your writing and why? 
At my iMac in the kitchen area, because that's the center of the house. While I have a laptop and workroom, I find that I'm always looking for the laptop, and the workroom is on the second floor. So with iMac being center stage, there's easy access day and night. I get to write and cook, write and do laundry, write and clean up. And while I can't write when the kids get home, it's easy enough to just jot down an inspiration or thought.
 What advice do you have for beginning writers?
Edit, edit, edit; also do not fall in love with your words or sentences. I think every writer at some point has thought so highly of a sentence or a concept that they felt that it absolutely must remain in the book. I remember the first full-length story I wrote. I refused to change the opening sentences even after over 100 revisions to the story. I thought the story hinged on it. But then you start to grow into your writing, and the story starts to flow, and you rearrange the plot, and add and subtract characters. Then as the story morphs from simple to complex, you naturally become less in love and more willing to "kill your babies."  
 What are you currently working on? 
I don't say this facetiously, but I think if I was a child in this day and age, I would be diagnosed as ADHD. In addition to having 10 children's stories (the 10th being written while marketing the current Prissy On The Moon), I have two completed novels and am now working on a 3rd. All my work revolves around family conflict and dynamics.


No comments:

Post a Comment